Santa Clara, March 8, 2017 – OCP Summit – Edgecore Networks, the leader in open networking, today announced design contributions to the Open Compute Project (OCP) of a 25 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) top-of-rack switch and a high-density 100 GbE spine switch that will lower the cost of high capacity data center networks. Edgecore also announced the contribution of two 802.1ac Wi-Fi access point designs that will offer additional platform choices for the growing community of software partners and managed service providers delivering open access networks.
In addition to the new design contributions, Edgecore will exhibit at the OCP Summit new open hardware platforms that further extend open networking into telecom applications, including a modular packet optical switch integrating Ethernet networking up to 100GbE with Analog Coherent Optics (ACO) and Digital Coherent Optics (DCO) technology from multiple partners, and a disaggregated virtual OLT for PON deployment up to 10G designed in conformance with the AT&T Open XGS-PON 1RU OLT specification contributed to the OCP Telco Working Group.
“As the contributor of the most networking designs in the industry to OCP, Edgecore has seen open hardware designs lower CAPEX and OPEX for our customers, provide open platforms that encourage innovation from our software partners, and lead to collaboration within the open community that has resulted in a broader set of solutions for data center, telecom and enterprise customers,” said George Tchaparian, CEO, Edgecore Networks. “With our new set of design contributions and open network products, Edgecore is enabling more rapid adoption of high-capacity 25G/100G networks in the data center, lower-cost open network architectures for telecom central offices, integrated packet optical solutions to reduce costs for data center interconnect and service provider networks, and cloud-provisioned open access networks by managed service providers.”
New Design Contributions to OCP
Edgecore is contributing the specification and design package for the AS7800-64X, the first open network switch design based on the Broadcom StrataXGS® Tomahawk™ II Switch Series, which provides 64 x QSFP28 ports in a 2U form factor delivering the most cost effective per port 100 GbE networking alternative in the market.
To meet the need for optimized 25 GbE top-of-rack switching, Edgecore is contributing the specification and design package for the AS7300-54X open network switch, based on the Broadcom StrataXGS Tomahawk Switch Series, providing 48 x SFP28 ports each capable of 10 GbE or 25 GbE, plus 6 x QSFP28 100 GbE uplink ports.
Both the AS7300-54X and AS7800-64X designs include options for CPU modules incorporating Intel® Atom™, Intel Xeon® Processor D, or NXP QorIQ® T2080 processors. The switches support OCP-ACCEPTED™ networking software, including Open Network Install Environment (ONIE), Open Network Linux, Open Optical Monitoring (OOM) API, and SnapRoute’s FlexSwitch NOS, and will support a broader choice of commercial and open source software options in the future.
Edgecore is adding to its portfolio of open Wi-Fi Access Points by contributing to OCP the specifications and design packages of two 802.11ac access points based on Qualcomm QCA Wi-Fi chipsets: the ECW5211-O Wave2 dual-radio access point with 2x2 MU-MIMO for cost effective wireless access deployments; and the ECW5410-O Wave2 dual-radio access point with 4x4 MU-MIMO for high performance, long range Wi-Fi access and hotspot deployments. Edgecore open Wi-Fi access points support the loading of open source and commercial Wi-Fi software via ONIE to enable the deployment of cloud provisioned access networks by enterprises, municipalities, and managed service providers.
Edgecore Leadership in Open Networking
At the OCP U.S. Summit in Santa Clara on March 8-9, Edgecore will be presenting
and exhibiting the newly contributed product designs, plus the following new open networking demonstrations and products.
- Edgecore ASFvOLT16 disaggregated virtual OLT designed as an OCP-INSPIRED™ product in conformance with the AT&T Open XGS-PON 1RU OLT specification contributed to the OCP Telco Working Group, based on Broadcom StrataDNX™ switch and PON MAC SOC silicon, and offering 16 ports of 10G XGS-PON or NG-PON2 with four QSFP28 ports for next generation PON deployments and R-CORD (Residential – Central Office Rearchitected as a Data Center) telecom infrastructure.
- Edgecore AS7812-24S open packet optical switch, a 1.5U modular platform, based on the Broadcom StrataXGS Tomahawk Switch Series silicon, that provides 3.2 Tbps bandwidth across a flexible mix of 10 to 100 GbE ports and 100/200 Gbps CFP2 coherent optical ports. The optical ports reside on line card modules offering a choice of ACO and DCO options that integrate optics and coherent DSP technology from partners including Acacia Communications, Finisar Corporation, and NTT Electronics.
- Automated configuration of the OCP-ACCEPTED FlexSwitch NOS from SnapRoute on the Edgecore OCP-ACCEPTED AS7712-32X 100 GbE open network switch based on Broadcom StrataXGS Tomahawk Switch Series, demonstrating the ease of deployment of a completely open infrastructure.
- Edgecore OCP-ACCEPTED AS7512-32X 100 GbE open network switch based on Cavium XPliant switch silicon with Software for Open Networking in the Cloud (SONiC), the open source networking software contributed to OCP by Microsoft and its co-contributors.
- Open Optical Monitoring (OOM) API demonstration based on Edgecore open switch hardware, CumulusÒ LinuxÒ NOS, and industry-leading 25G and 100G optical transceivers from Finisar that shows the OCP-ACCEPTED OOM integrating asset management and health monitoring of optical transceivers and switches.
- Edgecore Wedge100BF-65X open network switch, the most recent addition to the Edgecore Wedge portfolio, which offers 65 x 100 GbE ports based on Barefoot Networks programmable Tofino switch silicon, and whose design is being contributed to OCP by Barefoot.
- Full portfolio of OCP-ACCEPTED Edgecore open networking hardware, including data center switches, service provider edge switches, access switches and Wi-Fi access points, based on Broadcom switch and Wi-Fi silicon, and supported by the broadest range of commercial and open source software options in the industry.
“Edgecore has made important contributions to the OCP Networking Project, having contributed 10 GbE, 40 GbE and 100 GbE switch designs, as well as a modular platform which supports up to 512 x 100 GbE ports and open Wi-Fi Access Points. We welcome Edgecore’s new contributions which expand hardware designs in our growing community for 100G networking and open networks for campus, branch and wireless.” –
Omar Baldonado and Scott Emery, Co-Leads, OCP Networking Project
"As a market leader in cloud based Virtual Service Edge Platform for Managed Business Networking, Benu Networks welcomes advancements in the Open Compute community that democratize campus and branch wireless networking, such as Edgecore’s continuing contributions of access switch and Wi-Fi access point hardware designs to OCP. Those contributions make hardware more open, programmable and cost effective for our Service Provider customers, and unlock the power of DevOps for open wireless networking". –
Rajat Ghai , CTO, Benu Networks
“With support for more than 15 Edgecore open network switches, and as the original contributors of ONIE, Cumulus Networks partners closely with Edgecore Networks to deliver a web-scale networking solution to the data center. We look forward to working with them on new designs in the Open Compute community to enable even broader adoption of open networking." —
JR Rivers, Co-Founder and CTO, Cumulus Networks
"Finisar is pleased to work with Edgecore to enable fully-featured optical transceiver solutions in open networks. Finisar’s Open Optical Monitoring (OOM) can empower customers to easily monitor the health of a network’s physical layer with its open, extensible, and NOS-agnostic design." —
Vipul Bhatt, Sr. Director, Strategic Marketing, Finisar Corporation
"The team at Mojo Networks is proud to partner with Edgecore to drive open standards in the Wi-Fi industry. By demonstrating ONIE-capable 802.11ac Access Points, we're making a big leap towards a future of interoperable Wi-Fi Access Points and the end of vendor lock-in." —
Rick Wilmer, CEO, Mojo Networks
"SnapRoute is seeing increasing deployment and interest from a variety of customer segments for our OCP-ACCEPTED FlexSwitch NOS on Edgecore’s open network switches. We are looking forward to supporting the new Edgecore 25G, 100G and packet optical switches to provide a completely open network infrastructure that meets customers’ requirements for automation, control and cost optimization.” —
Jason Forrester, CEO, SnapRoute
About Edgecore Networks
Edgecore Networks Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of Accton Technology Corporation, the leading network ODM. Edgecore Networks delivers wired and wireless networking products and solutions through channel partners and system integrators worldwide for the Data Center, Service Provider, Enterprise and SMB customers. Edgecore Networks is the leader in open networking providing a full line of open Wi-Fi access points and 1GbE, 10GbE, 25GbE, 40GbE, 50GbE and 100GbE OCP-ACCEPTED switches that offer choice of NOS and SDN software for data center, telecommunications and enterprise networks. For more information, visit www.Edge-Core.com.
North America: Bill Burger Edgecore Networks firstname.lastname@example.org
Europe: Mark Basham Edgecore Networks email@example.com
Asia: Lucille Lu Edgecore Networks firstname.lastname@example.org
All trademarks, service marks, registered marks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
© 2017 Edgecore Networks. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Edgecore Networks shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.